Sunday, March 9, 2014

300 Rise of an Empire

In my life, I regret not watching a few movies in theatre. They are Troy, The Dark Knight and 300. I did not make the mistake of not watching the sequel of 300 in a theatre. This is one of the best movies I have watched in a very long time. There are a few movies which we wish would not end. 300: Rise of an empire is one such movie.

Lot of blood got spilled on me. The fact that all the blood was animated gave me a lot of solace, otherwise I could never be able to watch such a gory movie. 300 was about the Spartans led by Leonaidas, the sequel is about Athenians led by Themistocles. Unlike 300, which was on land, in the sequel the entire warfare is on sea. What I loved in the movie were the back stories. How Xerxes became the God King ? Why Xerxes went on a war with the Greeks? Why Xerxes's naval commander, Artemisia is thirsty for vengeance against the Greeks?


I loved the women in this movie. Queen Gorgo and Artemisia were powerful women who led their countries to the war. Themistocles comes to the Queen Gorgo to ask for her support in the war with the Persians. He does not come to the King, with his request, but the Queen. Artemisia influenced Xerxes to become God King after death of his father, Darius in the hands of Themistocles. I loved the confidence, ruthlessness and the war strategies of Artemisia. It was a perfect women's day movie for me.


Few of the dialogues were excellent. I cannot write them in this blog due to censorship issues but they are parallel to 'This is Sparta' and 'This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this' dialogues in 300. There is going to be another sequel, where all hell is going to break loose. I will eagerly wait for that, be it 5 or 10 years.

My recommendation: Great movie, go watch it in a theatre, if you loved 300.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be posted as long as they are not derogatory and directed to one individual or a group of people