Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Ghosts of the Present and Future - Part 2

Read Part 1 of the story here.

Rachel shrugged her shoulders and pursed her lips as though she didn’t want to let out a secret.

‘I took it from you when you were…umm…. distracted.’
‘You mean, you stole it!’, said David and turned towards her.
‘If you say so, then yes. Sylvia found it in my purse yesterday night and pushed me to meet you and return it’
‘Why?’
‘Because it belongs to you.  What do you mean why?’
‘I mean, why did you steal it?’

Rachel looked at his stubble. She thought it suited him. She didn’t want to look at his eyes. She felt that the black thick rimmed square glasses he wore magnified his condescending gaze.

‘It is a habit of mine, which I got into after I lost my mother to cancer. It started off without my knowledge. I realized I could do it without getting caught and I just continued taking stuff', said Rachel
‘I am sorry to hear about your mother. But, thanks for returning my watch.’
‘I am sorry I took it too. I am thankful that I have Sylvia now. The authorities put me up with her after I was caught in the mall, stealing a heart shaped pendant made of sterling silver. Under her watchful eye, I am getting out of my… my habit.’
‘Good to know that. Good luck.’

The wind whistled. Rachel pulled her multi-colored woolen cap over her ears. Even though the cap looked weird, she could never let go of it. It was the last purchase she made with her mother. She remembered how she argued with her that she will never wear it.

Rachel asked him, ‘Did you ever have a ghost?’
David rubbed his hands together. He gave a shy smile.
‘I did. He is liberated now.’
‘Oh wow! He must have done you a great favour.’
‘Yes he did. He got me out of my drug addiction’
‘You have deeper secrets than I do.’

David leaned on the bench and looked up at the sky. It was getting dark, stars twinkled in the twilight.

‘My ex-girlfriend introduced me to drugs. The intensity of the drugs increased after we broke up. My ghost, Michael was assigned to me after I ended up in a puddle on a street, with no consciousness of what happened. Michael lost his life to drug overdose. He was perfect for me. He understood me and was patient with me. He came to AA meetings with me. Under his companionship, I slowly gave up. I am sober for two years now. ‘

Rachel thought for a few seconds and asked, ‘David, do you think we will also end up as ghosts, being miserable ourselves, but help others out of their misery?’
‘I don’t know. I hope not. As long as we are, what do they call, law abiding citizens? My granddad told me once, ‘Back in the 2000s when we were young, we used to have something called as conscience. Now you kids have ghosts to keep you in line.’
‘I hope not too', said Rachel.

Rachel liked David. They spoke about their innermost secrets in their second meeting, which would have never happened without Sylvia. 

Rachel asked him, ‘Can we meet again?’
David winked and asked, ‘Did you steal anything from me again?’ and checked his pockets. He then looked at her and said, ‘I am just kidding. I would love to meet you again.’
‘How about tomorrow, at the same time, at ghost town bar…no wait…the same coffee shop should be good.’
‘I will see you tomorrow then.' David kissed Rachel on her cheek. He rose up from the bench and walked away.

On the jogging track, Rachel saw a jogger stop abruptly. He quivered from head to toe, in one fluid motion, as though something or someone cold passed right through him. Rachel guessed who could’ve caused it. She waved her hand and signaled Sylvia to join her.
   
                                          The End.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have read through this, please let me know your feedback.

    What makes this story unique?
    What could I do more/less of?
    How can I improve?

    Thank you for reading through

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be posted as long as they are not derogatory and directed to one individual or a group of people