Saturday, June 28, 2014

Why should anybody write?

I subscribe to a few writing blogs. As a wanna be successful writer, I have to keep abreast with the developments in the writers' world, through blogs. I read a wonderful article about why anybody should write. You should write, not to earn millions or booker prizes. You should write because no one else will do it for you. So true! Who else is the best person to put my thoughts on paper other than me. Read the complete article by Jeff Goins here

Whenever I think about the long road ahead of me to become a successful writer, I sometimes get discouraged. I know that it will take a ton of time to improve my craft, get my grammar straight and find my voice (If you remember the 10,000 hour rule postulated by Malcolm Gladwell, to perfect anything, I haven't accomplished even a fraction of it).When I feel low about my writing goals, I remember a beautiful quote from Earl Nightingale.

'Never give up on a dream, just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. Time will pass anyway.' 

A beautiful quote, distilled from Earl Nightingale's life time experiences as a motivational speaker and author. This quote is the last thread of hope I hang on to and it propels me forward to pick up a pen and scribble away in my diary. 

I decided to take this craft to the next level. I want to find my voice. Most of the successful writers' recommend setting up some time everyday to write. Write without the internal editor on. Put the craziest thoughts on the paper, come back to it later and edit it. I started waking up half-an-hour early everyday, since last week, so that I can write. I am amazed at all the weird fictional stories my brain thinks. My blog is going to be a bit different from now on. You will see a lot more crazy stories, which are very unlike me. I am discovering myself in that half an hour. Sometimes, I am amazed at the outcome. 

I need your feedback so that I can improve and give 'you' the credit for my accomplishments. Tell me for every story I post

1) What makes my writing unique?
2) What could I do more/less of?
3) How can I improve?

One sentence reply for each question is good enough. You are welcome to write more than a single sentence.
I will also take one more step and submit the stories to online literary magazines. 
Thank you all for reading through this page and for your continued support.


My diary and a sample of my best hand writing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be posted as long as they are not derogatory and directed to one individual or a group of people